Followers

Friday 4 March 2016

Angela's MDF Heart Hanging Tutorial

Its DT  Angela  here and I have a Tutorial on how to make my MDF Heart Hanging.

Start with this heart set from That Craft Place (naturally!) and for this project I used the frame, saving the solid section for another project....you will just have to wait and see what that will be!

 
Next take one of the 6x6 stencils which you can find here.
These are so useful and I am going to show you three different techniques that you can use with them though there are others but they are for another time.
 
 
Technique One.
First I made a masterboard for the background. I used cosmic shimmer sprays to colour an A3 sheet of card, allowed this to dry and then applied crackle paste though the stencil.
 
 
Technique Two.
Apply Grunge paste through the stencil onto the frame and allow it to dry thoroughly. Always make sure to clean the stencil thoroughly and quickly, especially when using mediums like this.
 
 
Next I used adhesive metal tape.

 
Attach this to the frame, rubbing it with your finger as you lay it down and then use an embossing tool to smooth the tape around the hearts to give a smooth and well defined finish.




Next go over this with black acrylic paint. I used a Tim Holtz dabber but any black acrylic paint will work.

 
Before the paint dries completely, rub it gently with a soft cloth to remove some of the paint.

 
 
Technique Three.
Cut cogs using dies such as Tim Holtz Gadget Gears, cover them with the foil and then emboss these using the same stencil.
I'm sure you don't need me to explain but just in case this is the sandwich you will need if using the Cuttlebug.

1. A Plate
    B Plate
    Stencil
Card

 
2. Embossing Mat

 
3. B Plate

 
I make no apology for the state of my plates as they get lots of use and the interesting thing is there is a gorgeous texture left on the hearts which is due to the roughness from the plate but I love it.

 
Next, add alcohol inks to the cogs and the frame.



Then black paint and rub off as before.
 
Trace a piece of card and backing paper and glue these together.
 

 
I rubbed over the crackle with Cosmic Shimmer Metallic Gilding Wax.
 
Finally, attached the cogs and the frame.


And here is the finished heart which I completed with a Tim Holtz sentiment die and pearls.

 
All the mediums I have used here are available from TCP apart from the metal tape which is from the Tool Station and is Aluminium Foil Tape and comes in different widths.
 
Hope you enjoyed watching me make this.
Happy crafting,
Angela x

Don't forget our latest challenge is HERE

Links you need to know 

3 comments:

01 09 10